Thursday, August 16, 2007

Hoinken Doinken

I love watching my dad cook!

The Hoinken Doinken


Crampa, Katherine and Nonnie...shortly after breakfast...see, everyone is happy!!

Have you ever had a Hoinken Doinken? How about a flat egg...I mean a REALLY flat egg, one that has been flattened with a hammer or the bottom of a shoe? How about a Slippery Scallopini? Ever had a chewing gum egg? Well, in case you were wondering...those are all breakfast items created by my grandfather...Crampa. I really can't tell you the secret recipe to any of those entrees...mainly because I don't know and also, because they always change. I do know the chewing gum egg had a lot of mozzarella cheese....so much we could actually blow bubbles!!! I don't think the flat egg was ever REALLY flattened with my Crampa's shoe...it was always very flat though...but I know him well enough that I don't think his secret ingredient would be dirt off the bottom of his shoe. I wouldn't have minded though...the breakfast experience with my Crampa was so much fun I would have eaten ANYTHING...brussel sprouts even...and thought it was the most fantastic meal of my life!!! The one common theme to every dish was the secret prize. Sometimes it was as simple as a cherry on top...others, it was a quarter taped to the bottom of the plate.


Unfortunately my Crampa is no longer with us. But I know he smiles from heaven when he sees that his tradition lives on. Pictured is the Hoinken Doiken created by my father at our last family reunion. Thanks Dad!!! It was the best h'egg I have had in a long time!!!!

2 comments:

Jravella said...

Gina,

We love your Blog! The "images" are beautiful and the words create an equally beautiful image.

We miss you all very much. Please give the boys a hug from us.

Jim and Andrea

Macie Days said...

Mmmmm... I wish someone was here to make me a hoinken doinken right now!!!