Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rite of Election

This is my first blog about my conversion to Catholicism. After many years of prayer and counsel by both Catholics and Non-Catholics, I have actually decided to convert. Last night I experienced the Rite of Election. It is a ceremony held by the Catholic Church to accept into it new members. Everyone in the area is called by name and introduced to the Bishop. They stand up, walk up to the altar, sign their name in a book and personally meet the bishop. It is a beautiful ceremony and very rich in biblical meaning:

Isaiah 40:26 "Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing."

John 10:3, 14 (The Shepherd and His Flock) "The watchmen opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out...I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me..."

Because I have already been baptized in the Catholic church, I didn't not actually sign the book and meet the bishop. My name was called, though, and I stood before the others accepting the call to conversion. I couldn't help but get choked up as I watched the others who haven't yet been baptized walk up to that altar and sign their name. So many people from different walks of life making a decision to seek God. To make Him their shepherd. To know His voice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May you have a blessed and peaceful life with God. We all are created in the image and likeness of God. So to know him is to know yourself. May you have a wonderful, spiritual journey through this lifetime. I know you will....God Bless!

Jen McD said...

May the blessing continue as your deepen your walk with our Creator.