Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Happy Birthday Luke!

Luke: one day


One Year


2-years-old


Three!


This time three years ago I was pacing the halls of the Goldsboro (Wayne County) hospital waiting for my baby. He was born at 3:20 a.m. and after some brief cuddle time and a little practice at nursing they whisked him away until 8:30. That was the longest five hours of my life. But this post is not meant to dwell on ancient and barbaric post-partum practices. This is about where we are today after three of the best years of my life!

So, let me tell you about Luke. To start, one of my favorite traits about him is his smile. He smiles with his whole face! It is the biggest, most wonderful smile. By the same token when he cries, he cries with his whole face. It is pitiful! His big brown eyes filled with tears, mouth turned down and quivering, cheeks red. It makes it very hard to discipline him. And he does not like to be told "no." Lately after being told "no" (usually to candy or cookies) he will either reply with, "Awwww, come on! You've got to be kidding me!" which is spoken in kind of a fun tone. Or he will angrily yell "MOMMY! DON'T SAY THAT TO ME!" It all depends on his mood, which response I will get. But for the most part, he is the happiest, most content little boy.

Luke is potty trained now. It is was all about just taking away the diapers. He would still prefer to wear them as I think he doesn't really like to wash his hands after going potty. Whenever he washes his hands he sings his ABC's. Luke can count but I don't know how high, somewhere in the teens it goes a little hay-wire. Just last week he decided he wanted to play hide-and-seek with just me. Usually he has a big brother leading the way. He insisted on counting first. I hid in the kitchen curtains and patiently waited as he counted to 20. He was in the pantry (our counting place) for a long time. He'd almost get there and then skip twenty, go to twenty-four, twenty-five, etc...then back down to 11 and almost to 20 again only to jump to forty. I finally had to call out, "okay, sweetie, say 'ready or not, here I come!'"

Luke's best friend is Hank. I can get him to go anywhere and do anything if it means he'll get to see Hank. Luke's hero is his older brother! As for me and Nick, he'll choose the one of us that isn't pursuing him. If I try to give him a bath, then he wants Dad to do it. If Nick wants to hold his hand, he goes for mine (if Jay isn't around). Luke's favorite toys are guns (ugh, it must be an ingrained boy thing) and cars. His favorite food is anything sweet...cookies or candy. He will, however, settle for berries and fruit. Vegetables? Forget it! When he gets the priviledge of a treat he doesn't sit and savor the moment, he shoves the goodies down his throat, eating as much and as quickly as possible. Luke's favorite television show is Sesame Street with his favorite segment being, "Abby's Flying Fairy School" which may some day be a source of embarrasment for him, particularly since it is now written out. Luke is presently in swimming lessons and this is where I really see his desire to please. He will do anything the teacher tells him to do, even when he is clearly scared, and always with a big smile on his face. That's my Luke!

Happy 3rd Birthday Sweet Boy!

3 comments:

Katherine said...

Luke's smile can, most definitely, light up any room! I love that little boy! I can't believe he is THREE already! Seems like just yesterday you and I were venting pregnancy woes of swollen feet and big noses (okay, that was me - you were much more graceful in your pregnancy!)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!!!

Anonymous said...

Luke is a happy, smiling, sweet lover, wonderful boy. What a joy in your lives! Happy Birthday, Luke!!OXOXOXO

Jen McD said...

Happy Birthday! He sounds like a great little buddy to hang around - he and Brad would be the best of friends trying to sneak candy at every opportunity!

Three years - wow!