Thursday, September 11, 2008

"The wise man is always similar to himself."

I love this excerpt from Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert:

"I've always been so fascinated by these wraith-like, delicate souls. Always wanted to be the quiet girl. Probably precisely because I'm not. It's the same reason I think that thick, dark hair is so beautiful - precilsely because I don't have it, because I can't have it. But at some point you have to make peace with what you were given and if God wanted me to be a shy girl with thick, dark, hair, He would have made me that way, but He didn't. Useful, then, might be to accept how I was made and embody myself fully therein.

Or, as Sextus, the ancient Pythagorian philospher, said, 'The wise man is always similar to himself.'"

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Yes, embody yourself. Maybe I need to quit trying to be just like you then, and be me :)

Anonymous said...

A life journey, refreshing to be reminded to embrace oneself.....it is a moment by moment event of a life time.