Thursday, August 28, 2008

Four Alarm Fire

This was the scene Monday, just a few miles from my home. A four alarm fire burned at least ten homes to the ground. One woman lost her life. Jay and I drove to check it out and among a sea of spectators we watched helplessly as fire consumed ridge. I took a few photos but felt guilty about it. Somehow someone else's loss as fodder for my blog just didn't seem right. But there we all were...watching. As I looked around I saw sadness and concern in everyone's eyes...


...and then I noticed this. A beautiful sunset. It seemed ironic to me. How could there be something so magnificent happening in the same atmosphere as something so destuctive?

It reminded me of God's love. Unceasing, ever-present love for us. Even when we think he has forsaken us and we turn our backs on Him he is still there. "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:18

3 comments:

Jen McD said...

Amen.

Katie said...

You said it. I always look for the most amazing sunsets when there's smoke nearby.

Ryan's on the board Saturday. I showed him your pictures and he was impressed. Lots of great resources nearby.

Anonymous said...

Saw it on the news, 20 homes---may God be with those families. Lot's of nature happenings and their is always a sunset and sunrise.