Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Silence

Yesterday, Jay was at day camp and I was trying to get caught up on cleaning my house. Luke was running around doing the usual toddler things, playing with his cars, following me around trying to help, hiding in the curtains, asking for food, etc... Then in the middle of cleaning dishes I heard something I hadn't heard in a long time...silence. Aaahh, sweet silence. Wait a minute! My internal motherhood alarm went off...silence with a toddler in the house only means one thing...trouble! So, I start looking, a little frightened of what I might find. I am sure many of you reading this understand that once you have children "silence" can be almost deafening. With children around there is always noise...obnoxiously loud toys, slamming doors, cars banging into the walls, wrestling, arguing, laughter, screaming, snapping, whistling...it's all white noise to moms. Even the occasional "thud" is in some strange way a comforting, everyday noise. As a result, silence becomes a mother's very loud indication that something other than those obnoxiously loud toys has grabbed hold of her little one's curiosity. And THAT something more often than not means there is going to be ONE BIG MESS to clean up!

So as I start to search for Luke, my mind starts thinking of the possibilities. What is it that has his attention? I'm thinking paint on the walls, lipstick all over his face, toothpaste smattered from here to there, toilet paper or some other random item clogging up the toilet...a part of me is a little hesitant to find out, and I was kind of enjoying the silence.

I found him in the office. My relief was followed by amusement, so instead of getting him down I got out my camera.

Somehow he managed to pull up Google Earth.



Yes, he is quite proud of himself!



5 comments:

Katherine said...

oh my gosh! Look how cute he is! did he pull himself up on that chair? And so sweet... I love him!

Katherine said...

oh, and lots of obnoxious toys are happening as I read your blog. So, at least I know Macie is JUST FINE!

Katherine said...

one more thing. This proves that Luke is a genious. Seriously, he is on Google Earth of all things.

Anonymous said...

Cute story and how true! Luke is so cute, looks like he will be a tech guy!

Jen McD said...

He's a genius! So precious, and you're dead on about the "white noise". I was scrolling and reading very slowly expecting a disasterous picture... whew, thank you google earth!