Sunday, July 13, 2008

A New Star in Heaven

(This poem was written by my great grandmother for her mother.)

Often when stories are told
About the ranchman and the great round-up,
They forget the brave and bold
Who worked to fill the cup.

I like to think of those cowboys,
Who have already crossed the great divide,
But heaven will have more joys
With the wives by their side.

The sky is filled with beauty,
As I lift my eyes up there tonight,
For one who did her duty
Is now a shining light.

I'll never forget her prayer,
"Oh God, please save my children all,
Let the chain be unbroken there
When they answer Thy call."

Yes, there is a new star tonight,
To me it is the fairest of the fair,
For as it glows so very bright,
I know our mother's there.

~In memory of Mrs. T.B. Cooper
By, Lillian Droke

2 comments:

Macie Days said...

that's beautiful! How neat that this poem is still read today.

Anonymous said...

Great poem and love that wonderful picture! What a treasure!