Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Some Words on Miscommunication...

Luke is two and a half now! And boy, does this boy know what he wants! The problem is I don't. Everyone knows the consequences that can result from miscommunication. Sometimes it can lead to disastrous results, other times, hurt feelings...the list goes on and on. With a two-year-old, miscommunication always leads to frustration and often tears. Here is our classic example.
We are in the car and Luke clearly wants something. What isn't clear, is that thing that he wants. He calls out very adamantly "Mom! I want *#&$#^*#&$(*#&$#&$" (water, I figure out later)
Me: "What?"
Luke: "&^#*$*&#($!!!!"
Me: "You want something?"
Luke: "&#^*$#&^$*#&!!!!!!"
Me thinking...."hmmm, it sounds like 'park'...is he asking to go to the park?"
This is where I make my fatal mistake...I guess...
Me: "You want to go to the park?"
Luke (thinking "what a great idea...forget the water!"): "Yeah! I GO PARK!!!!!!"
Me: "Luke, we can't go the park."
Luke: crying and confused I know he must be thinking: "then why did you suggest it!"
Me: Feeling like the worst mother ever!
Note to self: always start with water.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

I am laughing! Way to go Mom, all the boy wanted was water, and then you dangled the park right in front of him...
This will surely scar him
(just kidding!) I love that kid!

Memories Of Mine said...

I know this all to well. The good thing is Luke will grow out of this. My boy had been stuck in this situation for the last 5 year and you'd think I'd learn. We do some sign language but that's not always handy when you in the car.

Oh yes the trouble a wrong guess can cause.

Funny story: when my daughter was younger she kept saying for days she wanted a "shirt" I'd ask why do you want a "shirt" she reply "NO, I want a shirt". It took me 2 weeks to realize she wanted desert!! That's a long time to wait for some ice cream.

Jen McD said...

hehehe... poor Luke just wanted a drink. It seems like yesterday water was "wa wa". Pretty soon he'll start pronouncing things correctly and breaking your heart all over again.

Pedro Garcia Millan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

update your blog please