Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Beloved Nonnie



It is an end of an era. My beautiful grandmother,Matilda Cafiero, passed away Sunday at the age of 88. She immigrated to the United States from Italy in the late 1930s or early 1940 on an arranged marriage to my Crampa. They met only days before their marriage and spent their first hours alone on their wedding night. The grew to love each other dearly and had a life-long marriage of love, laughter, music and family. They had seven children, 13 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren. My grandfather worked initially in his father's pizzeria in New York. He became an aircraft mechanic and took great pride in his work. She worked to raise not only her children but she also worked to care for other children. They moved to Las Vegas where my grandfather performed playing his mandolin and Nonnie sang and played the tambourine. Then on to Phoenix Arizona where they continued to raise their family and perform together.



My fondest memories in childhood were the visits to Nonnie and Crampa's house in Phoenix. There was always a lot of people around and delicious Italian cooking...and of course, music. Each night the family would gather together around two tables, the adult table and the kid's table and enjoy a fabulous meal that Nonnie worked all day to prepare. I always remember it being very loud...a good loud. After our meal we would settle into the living room where my grandfather would pull out his mandolin and start playing. My Uncle Sal would join in with the drums, my father with his guitar, and Nonnie would sing. All the cousins would dance around with our tambourines and maracas. Laughter would fill this small house on East Geneva St.

Click below to enjoy an audio clipping of my Crampa and Nonnie together with some friends and family playing a jam session. I guarantee it will bring a smile to your face. (This is an old taping so be sure to listen past the loud screeching noise).





Nonnie Sings from Mark Cafiero on Vimeo.


Today, their legacy lives on in the family "Get-Rich-Quick" game and the Great Saldini show. We still enjoy the music of my uncle and dad at our family reunions and talent shows performed by the great-grandchildren. And although, I am sad that Nonnie is no longer with us I am happy knowing she is in Heaven now singing and smiling with Crampa.

9 comments:

Katherine said...

tears! Wishing I could hug you right now, Gina!
God Bless Nonnie!

Mrs. Proctor said...

Gina...I'm so sorry about your Nonnie. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

She had such a lovely voice! You can feel, through her song, happiness and joy wafting in the air. It reminds me my childhood as well...
Big Hug

La Mama said...

Very sweet, Gina...thanks for sharing the great memories. I know you've spoken highly of her to me. Sorry for your loss :(

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss, your dear Nonnie is in my thoughts and prayers. Loved the pictures and the cute song....what wonderful memories. God Bless!

Laura Thomas Hall said...

What a beautiful tribute - I know she is smiling down on all of you today. Take care of each other, you will be in my prayers.

Memories Of Mine said...

I am very sorry to hear of your Nonnie passing. It is obvious she was a very important part of your family.

I love the first picture of her, it is really beautiful, she looks so happy and the audio was such a treat to listen to.

Hang onto the wonderful memories you have.

Jen McD said...

The sound clip was so much fun. I can almost picture a big loud family enjoying themselves with love and laughter.

I am sorry about your Nonnie. A touching tribute for sure, I know she'll be missed. Praying for your family.

Jravella said...

Gina,
I'm sorry for your loss. I keep you and your family in my prayers.

Jim