Saturday, February 23, 2008

He's Not Perfect...

...but, he is perfect for me!

Yesterday morning I casually mentioned that I love receiving cards for no reason. Yesterday afternoon when I stepped out of the shower (yes, it takes me a good part of the day to get my shower in) I saw an envelope sitting on the counter top, "Gina" written in Nick's distinct handwriting was on the front. My heart melted. I immediately opened the card. There on the front was bold red and black graphics of some sort of weird alien geek, doing Mork from Ork's "NA-NU, NA-NU" sign. It had robots in the background and space crafts in the sky...meteors flying through space. And it read "Just like a nerd loves Sci-Fi..." (open) "that's how much I love you." I love it! I am still smiling! A card from the love of my life, for no reason...just to tell me he loves me! Those of you who know Nick, know that although he looks cool he really is just a nerd at heart...and he absolutely LOVES sci-fi! So, that card said a lot...but what spoke loudest of his love for me, was seeing it unopened on the sink.

Sometimes, okay, I'll be honest here, OFTEN, I take Nick for granted. But lately, I have been looking at him through a new lense. I had to refocus to see clearly what has been there all along; the man I fell in love with nearly fourteen years ago. He isn't perfect, none of us are, but he was definitely made for me. He is the voice of reason when I have lost my mind. Next to the Bible, he is my most reliable moral compass. I often tease him for being unyielding...sometimes downright stubborn, and he gently reminds me that trait is what drew me to him to begin with. He is trustworthy, steadfast and loyal as the day is long. When he gets his mind set on something or when he makes a commitment he ALWAYS follows through. He is kind and gentle and I know that as long as he is around everything will be okay. He keeps me grounded and he is my biggest fan. He accepts me for who I am, a complete package of flaws! Like him, I am not perfect but I would like to think that I am perfect for him.

6 comments:

Macie Days said...

Awe! That is so sweet! I love that he left you a card for no reason, and whats even better is that it was not generic, but it fit!
You guys are cute and compatable. 14 years is a long time! Wow!
I agree he is steady, and strong, and I love his confidence in himself. I also love his respect for you. Very sweet.

LaffyCaffi said...

Love the tribute. I think you two are a great couple, too!

Steel_Sleeping said...

Dearheart, I love you too. Thank you.

Katie said...

okay, now you made me cry. this post was so sweet. have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Lovely post! A cute couple with two cute kids---can't get better than that!

Anonymous said...

Aahh! You guys rock! That is so sweet and you are a great couple with a wonderful set of boys! Very blessed. Don't forget it :)!