Thursday, February 28, 2008

Family Traditions

If you have been reading my blog from the beginning you have heard the term "hoinken doiken" and know what "Kayla Persone" means. Many of you who are my friends and family have played the "Get Rich Quick Game"and have probably inherited a lot of junk. But you know what they say, "one person's junk is another person's treasure." Okay, yes, I know, the prizes in the Get Rich Quick Game definitely lack monetary value but did you have a good time? Okay, I rest my case. I digress. These are just a few of my family traditions inherited to me by my Cafiero family (my dad's side). Or the Farkles, the more appropriate and descriptive name we have dubbed ourselves. What I haven't revealed, which is really something of a dark secret, is another family tradition, one that I intend to perpetuate despite my husband's protest and downright groaning.

Every time I cook zucchini Nick, my husband, disappears. He knows that once I start chopping anyone within arm's reach, okay, not true...anyone on the premises will be slapped on the head with a cold zucchini butt and instructed NOT to touch it. (Maybe my quest to keep this tradition going is starting to lose it's charm...NAH!) The fun part is seeing who can hold it on their head longest while laughing at how ridiculous the other person looks with a big, green, rhinoceros horn prominently displayed on their forehead.
As you can see I meant what I said about anyone on the premises. You don't have to be a Farkle to enjoy this tradition. Jay's friends seem to really be amused...don't you think?
More victims in North Carolina
Cassady is like family to me...and it shows the way she seems to fit right in with that zucchini on her forehead.
Some traditions die hard.
I'll win him over one of these days.

5 comments:

Macie Days said...

that is so cute! Macie won't let me put one on her forehead yet. Even when I tell her "No Touch!"

Katie said...

that's some funny zucchini.

Anonymous said...

Love the zucchini tradition! Much nicer than the spoon on the nose!

Aunt Fider said...

Way to go Geenie. I love the fact that you hold onto those farkle traditions! When I and Aunt Duck did the zucchini forehead thing, when Alex was small, we kept cooking and such and forgot they were there. The doorbell rang and Chicky and I both went to the door, do our stuff with the person, go back to cooking, look at each other and started laughing. We will never know what that person thought! But we laughed ourselves silly....or I should say 'sillier."
Love Aunt Fider. Love those traditions that 'stick!"

Anonymous said...

I love these crazy farkle traditions. Cassady does fit right in! We sure miss you guys! Much love!