Monday, September 17, 2007

Roller Coaster Ride

I have found that being a parent is very much like riding a roller coaster. There are definite ups and downs. Sometimes you feel like you are just going around in circles with no beginning and no end and sometimes you even feel sick to your stomach. Two weekends ago was one of those such times. It was Jay's first soccer game...and it was painful! Nick and I sat on the side, cheered the Fireball Tigers on and watched as these really young kids competed in the game like they knew what they were doing. Then Jay got on the field, got kicked in the shins, layed down and cried and had to be carried off by the coach...back to the side. UGH! Okay, I thought, no big deal, we'll encourage him to shake it off, be tough and get back out and try again. So, the next quarter the coached called Jay back in. I was hoping to see him run in, excited about getting another shot, after all we had just had a great pep talk. No such luck...he casually walks out, head down, not the picture of enthusiasm I was hoping for. Not five minutes later I hear myself cheering for the team and then have to yell "Jay!!! GET UP!!!" He was back on the ground crying players running all around him attempting to score a goal. Then once again, my heart sank as he was carried off the field. That was the last chance to play. He was defeated...he didn't even want a snack. I felt ten inches tall...not big enough for this ride.

As we left the soccer field that day questions and doubts were rolling around my mind. Where had I gone wrong? Was I too soft with him, did I need to toughen him up? Why is he so sensitive? How do we help him get through this season? Maybe he shouldn't play. Nick and I agreed though that we needed to stick it out for this season. I say we because quiting would be the preferred solution for me too at this point. So, Wednesday evening Nick and Jay return to practice and on the way come up with a game plan for getting hurt, tired, or just needing a break...talk to the coach rather than lay down and cry. So he agreed, if he got kicked and it REALLY hurt or if he just needed a time out he would ask for a break.

I guess having this out was the power he needed. Because this past weekend he played like I have never seen him play! I was amazed! He was aggressive and strong and tough, he got kicked, fell down and picked himself right back up and played some more. I loved every moment! I felt ten feet tall on the side lines. We won!!! I don't know what the score was, I don't even care because this was the biggest win for Jay. He even enjoyed his end of the game snack knowing that he had truly earned it.

Here are some photos from the game. Fortunately I forgot to bring my camera to the first game...I wouldn't have posted those photos anyway. This blog is not to embarrass my kids...well, not like that. This blog is about revealing who they are, their strengths, not their weaknesses. Here's to you Jay. I am so very proud of you!!!



Another thing about roller coaster rides is that they can be absolutely thrilling!!!

7 comments:

Macie Days said...

Go Jay!! I knew he had a competitive spirit. I remember when he was three... he would not allow anyone else to be the "leader" of anything. He had to be the leader.
Well, he certainly looks like the leader in these photos. I am so proud of him!

Unknown said...

Interesting post! Jay just might end up being the team captain someday. Or maybe he'll go off and become a geologist or something totally random. But your encouragement and joyful rewards when he celebrates a victory of ANY kind, is what will matter in the long run. Hoorah for great parenting!

Jravella said...

Great job Jay! Way to stick with it and doing your best.

We are proud of you.
Jim and Andrea

vonnie said...

Hamish loves your team name!! Where do we get a copy of your jersey? You are doing a great job Nick!! Keep it up. You set a great example for Hamish!

Anonymous said...

Looks good to me! Keep having fun Jay and keep your eye on that ball! You look great in your jersey! Go for it and have fun!

Jen McD said...

Way to go Jay!! What a great job! Gina, as a mom I felt every emotion of your post. So well written - and it is thrilling ;-)

Aunt Cyndee said...

Oh my gosh Gina, I felt for you while reading that. Don't you just love when you are "that Mom & Dad" who's child is having a tough time!
Jay- I am so proud of you. You look like you are having lot's of fun. Keep at it. Here's to perservering!