Monday, September 10, 2007

Heelys

These are Heelys. Shoes with wheels in the heels. Jay and I have seen kids everywhere with these shoes, skating around malls, airports, parks, whereever. So, it didn't surprise me when he asked for a pair. So we struck a deal and after reading countless books he finally earned them. Two steps out of the shop and they were off...apparently Heeleys are more difficult to manage than those kids made them look. Neither one of us saw anyone struggle to stay upright the way he struggled thankfully we had the stroller to hang onto. I should have heeded the warning on the box. The one says I won't sue if my kid ends up with a broken arm...or worse. So, like the roller blades he came home donned the protective gear and practiced on the carpet, then on the floors holding onto me, then a brief venture outside which resulted in him removing the shoes...indefinitely.
Until yesterday. For some reason Jay desired to give it another try outside without me coaching (I don't know why) and all of a sudden it clicked. Here he is (no protective gear) Heelying down the neighbor's driveway.
Notice the tongue...very Michael Jordan!! And the arm...he used to hold it the same way when he was learning how to walk...I guess it works!

1 comment:

Macie Days said...

Those are so fancy! I love the laces!!
I always get cut off by kids in the mall with heely's. Don't do that, ok?