Thursday, November 1, 2007

Sleep Deprivation

Who are you? And what have you done with my baby?

Luke is approaching nine months of age now. He crawls, pulls himself up, gets into everything. He is very good at eating Cheerios. He loves his baths but is still not crazy about the car seat. He is generally a happy baby. During the day that is. I am writing this post at 4:00 a.m.. Not because I can't sleep due to some overwhelming inspiration to add a post to my blog but because I am worried. Something happens in the middle of the night to this sweet baby...he turns into some sort of unrecognizable monster. Face red, cheeks streeked with tears, a hideous, pathetic, yet very loud noise emminates from his body. All the books say babies should be sleeping through the night somewhere between 6 and 8 weeks. None of them tell you that once you have a baby you will never sleep again, ever! But here it is, nine months and I can honestly say I haven't had one night of uninterupted sleep. Sure, there have been nights he has slept beautifully...but then I wake up wondering, "What's wrong? Why is my baby sleeping? This is weird...I'd better go check on him." Tonight is not one of those nights. Tonight is the "I think I'll let him cry it out" night. So, here we are 4:00 a.m., correction, it is now 4:30 a.m. and we are going on a world record cry down. Who is going to win? I have to admit I have a very formidable opponent...he is small in size but has an arsenal of tools at his disposal. When I look at him, red faced, cheeks streaked with tears, big brown watery eyes, my heart melts and I have this unbearable urge to pick him up. And that very large noise that emminates from his tiny, little body, well, I just want that to stop.


Wait a minute...what is that I hear? Silence. It is almost deafening. Could it be I won the cry-down? WHOOOO-HOOOO!!! VICTORY!!! I won!!!! The noise has stopped. I'm going to bed now...good night. Or is it good morning?

5 comments:

Macie Days said...

GO Team Mommy!!!


Whatever you do, don't make eye contact!

Katie said...

congratulations, you made it. nora still calls us somewhere between 2-6 am to snuggle buggle. i comply because i know i will need these memories when she is a teenager.

get some rest.
you should be good to go until the next sickness or travel day throw you back to square one. good luck though!

Mrs. Proctor said...

Hmmmm..i'm not a mom, but I hear burbon in a bottle works great. No? I tell my dog to lay down on his rug..still no??

Anonymous said...

How many more teeth? One day a good night sleep but who cares, he is sooo cute!

La Mama said...

I love reading your BLOGS, I can so relate! Josiah is almost 2 and sometimes wakes up at night (usually teeth). Good for you for letting him cry it out, when you have changed them, fed them and know they are safe...that's all you can do. It just takes some kids a while to soothe (or scream) themselves to sleep. It's been like that with Javi and Jojo. I will cuddle but it's during the day :)